To access the full capabilities of the Similarweb API, you need to authenticate your requests using an API key.
Admin users who have access to our API products can easily generate their own API key or an API key for another user on their account by logging in to their Similarweb account and generating an API key from account settings.
Only account admins can generate new API keys
- Log in to the Similarweb platform.
- From the left menu, select Settings > Account.
- Under API, select Standard API / Batch API
- Click Generate a new API key
- Select the primary user of the API key you are creating. If you're generating the API key for another user on your account, simply enter their email address.
- Click Create - your key will be displayed in the Generated Keys table.
To ensure the new key can be used to pull data, in the Generated Keys table, click the button to the left of the email address of the user you generated the API key for. You'll see a drop-down with the specific API key(s) generated for that user, including the Title, Key, Created Date, Last Used, Monthly Usage, and Activation.
Under the Activation column, make sure the toggle is on for the relevant API key.
Invalid API key
If an API key has been created but not activated, then you will receive an "Invalid API key" error when trying to pull data with it.
How do I delete or transfer an API key?
When an admin user deletes or deactivates a user on their account, if there are any active API keys associated with that user, the admin will be prompted with 2 options:
Transfer the API key(s) to a different active user on the same account.
Disable the API key(s) so that all users on the account will no longer be able to use it.
Updated 17 days ago